Travel Award for Foreign Scientists
Taking those who have difficulty planning their flights due to Covid-19 into account, we have decided to extend the application deadline for the Travel Award. The new deadline will be determined by the end of January and will be posted on the website.
Neuroscience2021 offers Travel Awards to enthusiastic, leading, non-Japanese neuroscientists traveling from abroad to present high-quality papers at the meeting. Applications from young principal investigators and senior postdoctoral fellows, also applicants from Asian-Pacific countries are especially encouraged.
The amount of the funding for travel will be between 40,000–150,000 JPY per award.
Neuroscience2021 recognizes that the COVID-19 pandemic have had a hard impact on many neuroscientists, as many Neuroscience Meetings around the world were canceled or went online. Consequently, and to sponsor as many opportunities of scientific exchanges as possible, Neuroscience2021 will make every effort to expand the awardees’ slots compared to previous years. Neuroscience2021 will also pay a special attention regarding the 2020 Travel Awardees whose travels were canceled and who were unable to visit Japan during Neuroscience2020, a virtual meeting. Should the 2020 Travel Awardees wish to submit a NEW abstract for consideration for the 2021 application, we would be happy to consider an expansion of the Awardee slot on their behalf, too. In all cases, the excellence of the submitted scientific abstract will be an absolute prerequisite.
- The annual meeting registration fee is waived only for successful applicants.
- Accommodation will be provided for recipients from July 27th (check-in) to 31st, (check-out): four nights, single-room. The hotel will be near the Kobe Int’l Conference Center.
- Recipients are invited to the *International Exchange Meeting for Young Researchers on July 27th.
*To facilitate interaction among young researchers from abroad and Japan, all recipients are invited to this mandatory event. （https://neuroscience2021.jnss.org/en/young.html）
Application for the Travel Award
Please follow the Travel Award application instruction.
All presenters need to hold membership of the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS).
Application instruction will be sent upon acceptance.
Ineligible for this application
- Symposium speakers
- Other grant recipients related to Neuroscience2021
- Applicants who applying via other Neuroscience Affiliations
*Applicants from the following countries must apply for the Travel Award through their home Neuroscience Affiliations: China, South Korea, India, and Iran.
Each society has set their own deadline date and guideline. Applicants shall follow their instructions.
For further information, please contact the office of your society below:
China: the Chinese Neuroscience Society
South Korea: the Korean Society for Brain and Neural Science (KSBNS)
India: Indian Academy of Neurosciences (IAN)
Iran: the Iranian Neuroscience Society (INS)
- Once your application has been accepted, the Travel Award selection committee will determine the appropriate amount of support.
- The amount of the Travel Award will not be increased under any circumstances.
- Each recipient must bear any additional expenses.
- We will notify recipients of the time and place at which the award money and certificate will be given during the International Exchange Meeting for Young Researchers.
- The stay at the designated hotel will only be covered from July 27th (check-in) to 31st (check-out). Recipients must bear all expenses if they stay at hotels of their own choice or stay extra nights.
Please contact the Neuroscience2021 Secretariat with any inquiries or concerns regarding hotel bookings at email@example.com.
- Attendance, and oral or poster presentation at Neuroscience2021 are mandatory.
- Award recipients who do not attend Neuroscience2021 and do not deliver a presentation will have their award revoked.
- A main author is only eligible to receive the Travel Award.
- Participants can only give one oral or poster presentation at the meeting as the first author.
- All presenters at Neuroscience2021 must be an official member of the Japan Neuroscience Society(JNS).
- Upon acceptance, the JNS office will contact successful applicants and provide instructions for membership registration. Please register for membership after you receive it.
For participants who require a visa
- Participants who require a visa must obtain the visa themselves.
- The meeting organizers will provide necessary visa documents upon request. With the documents we provide, we support your stay only for the 4-day conference plus 3 days. Please contact the Neuroscience2021 Secretariat with any inquiries or concerns regarding visa applications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply for the Travel Award
Please read the following instructions and go to the application site.
1. Prepare the following four documents.
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Copy of your passport (only the page where the photograph of your face appears)
- Abstract for Neuroscience2021 presentation
For details regarding abstract format, please see the Call for Papers section in the Annual Meeting website.
2. Register these documents on the Travel Award Registration site.
3. Letters of Recommendation
- Graduate students/Postdoctoral fellows:
Ask referees for the letters of recommendation. Letters of Recommendation should be sent to JNS office(email@example.com) directly by the recommenders, not by the applicant.
One of (two) letters must be from the applicant’s current supervisor.
The letter should be no more than one page in length.
Fill in your referees' names and contacts information on the Travel Award Registration site.
- Young principal investigators/Senior postdoctoral fellows:
No recommendation letter is required.
Registration: December 1st, 2020 to January 12th, 2021 at noon JST Extended, TBA